There is a lot more that goes into commercial cleaning services than many people realize. It takes time, training, proper techniques, and of course tools. Those tools aren’t going to get the job done if they are worn out and broken down. If you do much cleaning, many of your tools are going to need to be replaced. Here’s a look at how often you should be replacing some basic cleaning supplies.
As the saying goes, if you think you need a new vacuum — you probably do. There can be a big difference from one vacuum to another, depending on what you are using. A survey from Consumer Reports found that vacuums last a median of eight years. If you are using it to clean your commercial property, you’ll probably want to make sure you have one that is high-quality. And there are some things you can do to make sure it lasts longer. Try these tips from the Consumer Reports article.
- Don’t let the bag or bin get filled to the brim, which can clog the machine.
- Clean or replace the filter whenever it’s dirty.
- Every few weeks, clear the motorized brush of tangled hair, string, and other fibers, which can stress the motor.
- Check the hose for clogs occasionally.
A broom is a broom. Right? Nope! As with all products, there are higher and lower quality brooms. This will impact how long a broom will last before needing to be replaced. In addition, it depends on how often you use it and what type of floors you have. If you are using it to sweep surfaces outside, you can expect it to need to be replaced sooner.
It will be time for a new broom when you can see that the one you are using looks worn-out and has bristles that are bent or missing. Or, in some cases, it just won’t pick up the debris like is used to.
So when you are looking to upgrade your sweeping device, look for a couple of things that can make a difference for its performance and lifespan.
Bristles are what make the broom, so check the bristle count. The higher the better. And thinner bristles will work better for getting into tight spaces, so think about where the broom is going to be used frequently. And get something that feels good when you are using it. Nobody wants to hunch over for a broom that is too short or use an awkward angle for one that is too long. Don’t forget about the handle! Find one with a good handle that is going to make this job easier.
If you think it is fine to just keep on using your old mop because it appears to be getting the floors clean — think again. Did you know that a mop can contain millions of bacteria? It is a perfect way for bacteria to spread if you aren’t careful with your mops. So how do you know when it is time to send your mop to a farm out in the country?
There are some specific indicators you can look for to identify a mop that is no longer worth using. For one thing, your mop head ought to be replaced after about 6 months of use (if you are using it once a week, or about every 20-25 uses).
You can also be on the lookout for some of these signs to know if your mop should be replaced.
- When parts of your mop head are falling off — its time for a new mop. You’ll be able to see little pieces of it coming off on the floor.
- When you see the some of the mop head has become discolored — its time for a new mop. Although, this can also happen if a mop is not cleaned properly.
- When fibers are worn out and have lost their shape — its time for a new mop. A telling sign is if the fibers of the mop start looking like a toothbrush that has been used for too long.
Don’t Worry About It
There is one way that you can get by without worrying about any of these things. Leave your commercial cleaning services to us! Then you won’t have the headache of dealing with all of these things. You will be able to focus on making your business successful instead of trying to keep it clean. We always tailor our services to meet your business’s needs, our available janitorial services include:
- Sweeping, mopping and polishing of floors
- Wipe and disinfect doorknobs, telephones and light switches
- Stair and elevator cleaning
- Entrance, reception area, and foyer cleaning
- Kitchen and lounge area cleaning including sinks, countertops, microwaves, toasters, and refrigerators
- Restroom cleaning and disinfecting
- Sanitizing of all restroom fixtures, sinks, partitions, walls, etc.
- Wall and carpet spot removal
- Air condition vent cleaning
- Blind cleaning
- Cleaning of light fixtures, baseboards, millwork, etc.
- Window washing
- Floor stripping and refinishing
- Carpet cleaning
- Trash removal
- Power and Pressure Washing
- Light Bulb Maintenance
- Nearly any other cleaning you want
Supplies and Products
If you need supplies and products, we can provide and stock them for your business; these include:
- Toilet Tissue
- Paper Towels
- Trash Can Liners
- Hand Soaps
- Air Fresheners
We want to earn your commercial cleaning services business. If you are wondering if we may be a good fit for you, check out our maintenance program. Or give us a call to set up a complimentary estimate.